Friday 19 October 2012

Disposable Nappies

Here I am, joining in the the old nappy debate, and write our experiences of different brands. I wish I'd read a bit more about them when I was pregnant, I ended up picking up huge boxes of Huggies because they were on offer, and we ended up throwing most of them away!

Huggies-
I thought I'd start with these. In all honesty, they are the worst brand we have used. They leaked, didn't fit well, gave Julian rashes. Ick. Basically, Huggies have an 'amazing' chemical in them, which turns urine into gel. Well this 'amazing' chemical, can form burns and all sorts on the poor babies! We were changing Julian's nappy when he was a few days old, and noticed these horrible little crystals all over him, so I decided to have a look online and see if anyone else had experienced these.
I'm a member of a great little forum called Baby and Bump, so I thought I'd start there. I came across a thread about Huggies, and it turns out a lot of mums and dads had problems with them. Someone posted about a story that they read from the States. In short, it said that a poor woman had been arrested for child abuse. She took her daughter to the hospital, because she had burn marks all over her genitals. Well the authorities concluded that the woman had poured boiling water over her daughter and scalded her. But it later turned out that this 'amazing' chemical in her nappies (Huggies) had burnt her! I mean, the poor child!
Since reading this story, there is NO WAY I will put these on Julian ever again. The rest of the boxes were binned, never to be bought again! I wouldn't risk putting something like that near my own skin, so why would I do it to my son?

Pampers-
These have actually been fine for us. The actual nappy design seems a lot better than Huggies. They have a kind of net inside, that seems to make them more secure. We have although, had a few leaks with these, with both ones and twos. And, to add to that, they are soooo expensive compared to our current brand! I had to run and get some from our local supermarket a few weeks ago because we were running low, and they were almost £7 for around 30 nappies!

Asda Little Angels-
By far my favourite nappy of the lot. They seem to fit really well. Julian has had, I think, 1 leak in the last 2 months of using them. He hasn't had any nappy rashes, and to top it off, they are £3.19 for 42 nappies! The one and only downside to these is that you can obviously only get them in Asda, and our closest one is the other side of town; however this is easily sorted as we order our groceries online from there anyway!

I know we haven't actually tried many different brands, but I thought I'd give my opinions on the ones we have used, just in case they help other parents or parents-to-be!

Emma x

1 comment:

  1. Funnily enough, Asda nappies are our favourite too - I'd always imagined when pregnant that we'd stick with the 'big' brands!

    ReplyDelete