Wednesday 17 October 2012

Hmm...

Wow, I didn't realise I hadn't updated in 8 days! This is going so well already... Lol.

On Monday we had a planned visit from our Health Visitor. Julian's weight was a bit up and down (he dropped from the 50th to just below the 25th centile in 2 weeks), so she's coming round every couple of weeks to keep an eye on it. Last time he was weighed he was 10lb 5oz. That was 2 weeks ago. This week he weighed 10lb 11oz. So he gained 6oz in a week, and has now dropped to the 9th centile. The HV said that babies are meant to gain at least 3-4oz a week, so he has just gained enough, but he was really scraping it. She's not overly worried at the moment, but she's coming back on the 29th to see how he's getting on. I breastfeed on demand, so he's feeding every time he's hungry. He feeds pretty often too, around every 2.5-3 hours.

If Julian's weight gain isn't any better at the next check, then we will have to talk about giving him a supplement of formula once a day. I'm really hoping I don't have to do that. I have nothing against women who chose to formula feed, but for me personally, I want to do it all myself. My body grew him for 9 months, so why should it not do anything for him now? I feel like a failure, I feel like I've failed my son. My milk obviously isn't doing enough for him, which is truly heartbreaking.

I've started offering him a feed every 2 hours. And so far he's taken every time. So hopefully he's just not realizing he's hungry straight away. It's not a major increase in feeds, but with any luck, that little bit extra will help him pick up the weight.

Julian's a very active, and alert little boy. Even the HV said she can't believe how active he is for his age. He's extremely strong too. So maybe he's just burning calories more frequently than the 'average' baby, because he's so active? I don't know. But it's giving me a major headache worrying about it!



Another 'event' this week is my little sister's birthday today. She's 11 now. I can't believe how quick it's gone! I remember my mum bringing her home from the hospital! She genuinely is the most amazing little girl. She's like my best friend. She's amazing with Julian too. She dotes on him so much. She's always getting him little presents out of her pocket money, and constantly asks to burp him after a feed, or change his nappy, or cuddle up with him. It's so sweet. Although, she hasn't quite grasps how to change a nappy yet, so you kind of have to redo the side tabs again, bless her.


I bought her this bear from Julian. It says 'Awesome Auntie' on the scarf.

We're going round to my mum's to see her tomorrow. We always go to pick her up from school, and she comes running out and asks to give Julian a cuddle. So cute!


I seem to have rambled a bit with this post, so I'm going to leave it here!

Emma x

No comments:

Post a Comment